The Heart and Hurricane #438752 of 2020

The month of October has been filled with unpredictable challenges but also many enjoyable and gratifying events. For starters, my favorite modules thus far in the program took place during the month of October (I honestly feel like I say that after each module). Everything related to the cardiovascular system has been a joy to learn for me. I am fascinated by all it encompasses, from the anatomy and physiology of the heart and modulation of alpha and beta receptors to the actions of vasodilators in vascular smooth muscle. In fact, it has made me ponder if a specialty related to the cardiovascular system is something I should pursue later down the road. Our professors have done a great job explaining the material in a way that is easy to understand but also gives the students the option to learn it at a deeper level.

The interest that I discovered in the cardiovascular system during these modules is best shown on my exam scores. Compounding that interest with the skills and study techniques I have learned throughout the semester, I feel I am really beginning to hit my stride in the classroom. One technique I have begun to use and master is spaced repetition, specifically with the help of the Anki flashcard app. Anki gives me the ability to optimize my time and efficiently study without wasting a minute going over material I have already learned. I have really come to be a believer in this method and hope to convince others of its efficacy.

Finally, this semester has been a whirlwind of various hurdles which none of us saw coming. From challenges stemming from COVID to dealing with more hurricanes than we have seen in the last twenty years, it has been an unprecedented time filled with adversity. Our professors have been both understanding and wonderful while somehow maintaining the high standards of learning. Even though it has been tough at times, this year has made all of us better and more resourceful students, something I am grateful for. I know the lessons we learned from this adversity will be beneficial to us as we continue in the program and in life as physicians.

I would be remiss if I did not include some of the volunteering opportunities I have had. While they have been more difficult to find with COVID-19 and the constant threat of hurricanes, I have been able to send a few letters to a nursing home in California. I would say it only took an hour of my time to do but was well worth it. I hope to hear back from my pen pals soon!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can we have another semester please?

A Month of Hard Work

Early Reflections on Graduate School and Life in New Orleans